Tuesday, September 29, 2009

blog title: september 26th in china

blog content:

so, saturday was my sister's 35th birthday, and i was unsure of what the day would hold. i was kind of nervous actually. i am far away from family and friends.
i am away from anyone who knew ramey. and i didn't know how i would feel, if i would want to be alone all day, or if i would want to talk about it, or how she
could be properly honored and remembered in a place that doesn't know of her. so, i didn't tell anyone. i told one girl the night before because she invited me
somewhere and i explained that i was unsure of what i would do tomorrow. then, that morning, another girl asked what my plans were and i told her the same thing.

i woke up sad. i spent time in the word. i prayed, i cried, i read, i played my guitar and sang songs that ramey loved and some that reminded me of her. and i don't
know exactly what happened, but i know God was beginning to do something in my heart. He was breaking me. i was opening up to Him in a way that i haven't in a long time. and
i was crying about ramey in a way that i don't know if i have before. i don't know what happened but it was good.

then, i had to go run some errands with my roommate. as we were biking, she asked about ramey's birthday and what she liked to do on her birthday's, and what
we did last year to celebrate (one of the girls had told her). then she asked if we could have a party to celebrate ramey. and i started to cry.

she did all the texting, someone made a homemade cake, and we met at a nice restaurant that evening. me and 12 people, one who met ramey one time, the rest strangers to my sister,
almost to me too. they had me sit at the head of the table, and we started the meal like any other. pretty soon someone asked a question about ramey, and i answered, and next
thing i knew, i was telling stories and every eye was on me. no one was eating. we were laughing and crying and remembering. it was unreal. they ordered a cake there at the restaurant, and we sang to ramey and ate the cake.

then the party moved to the rooftop of some of the girls' 17th floor apartment. we sang happy birthday again, to the heavens, and then a girl played the guitar and we began to worship.
it was so beautiful. it was like nothing i have ever been a part of before. the Holy Spirit was so evident, and we were being led by Him. we worshiped, and then we talked some more. i played the song i wrote about ramey. they asked more questions about her. i was able to share so much about her life and also her death, and the aftermath, and how we are all dealing.
it was so healing for me. so good to talk about it. so wonderful to celebrate her life by talking about her and laughing about her craziness and crying about her goodness.
it was amazing.

at about 12:30, we got around to eating the homemade cake out of the pan with forks and drinking milk out of coffee mugs. when we left at 1:15 am, we had all been affected in
many different ways. i was blessed beyond what i can say by these people's outpouring of love and friendship for me on such an important day. and they tell me they have been
impacted by ramey's life that was so well lived, that while they didn't know her, they are encouraged, changed, sad they never knew her, and thankful that i am here to tell them.

God is doing a work, and it is so cool. it reminded me again, that when these things seem too hard to bear, He is working all things together for His good. He is using ramey to
bring glory to Himself. and i am so thankful.

13 comments:

  1. Amazing. I don't even know what to say. Amazing.

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am filled with joy that you were able to have this time. I am so proud of you. God is using you and Ramey together. How awesome is that! I love you. Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brought tears to my eyes! What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shayna

    What a blessing to read about how you celebrated Ramey's birthday! I know that Ramey was smiling down and probably directing your time as well by her spirit. You two are so linked, I cant look at you or listen to your voice that I am not reminded of Ramey and remember how much she loved you. Gosh I still remember laughing till we about wet our pants about you two sleeping together at that womens retreat and something about wrapping your curling your toes, I cant remember it all but that it was hilarious to listen to the two of you. I got your site address from your Mom tonight, just want you to know we prayed for you and your cruise and we love and miss you so much. Blessings! Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl I am so happy the this day brought such good things to you. I miss you so much. Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shayna,
    that makes me so happy. when I read your email explaining all of this.. i cried..and now reading it again..i cry. it helps to remember that all this pain isn't in vain..and although we miss her terribly - God is at work.
    Thank you for allowing yourself to be open and vulnerable enough to share.
    Love you.
    Sun

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shayna,

    I didn't even know Ramey, but I feel like I've had an intimate peek into her life because of the stories that you and your family have shared and the things that I've read on her blog.

    I am so blessed for you that you were able to celebrate her birthday and in such a GOD way, glory was brought to himself as you reminisced and shared about her testimony and life.

    Thank you for sharing it here and again letting all of us have a peek into what God is doing in your life and heart.

    Praise the Lord!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. God is good. That was beautiful. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Shay, thanks for sharing all of that. It is hard to really break open in front of people. I was so hoping that you would be able to let yourself do that, and was encouraged to know that you were surrounded by such encouraging believers. I miss you, and Judah does too. I know that you are where your supposed to be for now. Many great things are on the horizon for you girl. Judah, I and Monica had a pretty scaled down version of that celebration, but we went to Coldstone Creamery and had Ramey's favorite icecream, Birthday Cake remix, Judah had the chocolate version, I had the standard yellow cake version. Hope to skype with you soon!

    John

    ReplyDelete
  10. miss you girl! glad that time was a mix of celebration through laughter, tears, prayers and praise...just like ramey. we were celebrating with you in spirit, listening to rame's music throughout the day, wearing her clothes and just missing her. come home soon...i mean it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shayna that was just beautiful. We sure do miss your smiley singing face around here! lots of love to you, Doug and Gina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful post. God makes all things beautiful, yes?
    I wore Ramey's hat all day, and then watched and prayed as my sister was in labor all day with her "miracle child" . . . thought about life and birth and death and how God is in it all and how it's all hard but also wonderful when we are believers. The first thing she said to me after he was born (at 12:08--missing Rame's birthday by 8 minutes) was "I'm sorry. I tried!" ha ha and I think she did: she only pushed four times and for about 15 minutes which is unheard of for a first birth! She really wanted him and Ramey to share the same birthday. :)

    Love you, girl. I AM going to Skype you soon . . . I promise!

    Kat4love

    ReplyDelete