Friday, September 11, 2009

the dongguan monster

this past wednesday was the first time i felt truly discouraged at school. nothing in particular happened, it's just hard. these kids are really bright, but i speak a language that isn't spoken in their home. i have 2 little new korean girls, and one speaks and understands a little english, the other not at all. she just randomly gets up in the middle of class and walks to the door or meanders around. i think she is learning the word "sit". it's so frustrating, but i understand her pain because when people talk to me in chinese, it means nothing. i can completely tune them out because the sounds are meaningless to me. so, she tunes me out. but, she started going to esl  for a few hours yesterday, and that is supposed to help her learn so she can transition back into my class full time.

i have one girl from singapore, one boy from taiwan, one girl from china, one indian girl, one hong kongese and american girl, one girl from thailand, and 6 korean kids (1 boy, 5 girls). 12 students, 10 girls, 2 boys. they are the largest class in the school, and they are a handful. i am tired, and i am so burdened to be a good teacher for them, and it takes so much work and planning. and it's not the way  i think at all. i am so used to high school kids, and this is so different. 

the foreigners that i work with here have been wonderful and so encouraging to me. i hope to do a video blog soon and introduce you to them. i also want to put up pictures of stuff on here and facebook, but i am having difficulties uploading them with this mac. i know that's blasphemy, but it's true.

i've been riding my bike for this past week to and from school and other fun places, and i can't get enough of it. i just went out tonight at 10, when all of my friends were tired and going to bed, and drove around town trying to figure out the town. it's wonderful, the bike. and riding it here is so much fun. her name is maggie. i didn't name her. she came with that name painted on her side. she's a grandma bike. you know, wide silver handle bars, big seat, totally cool. all of my friends here have road bikes, and they're nice, but i have a cruiser, and i love her, even if i am at the back of the pack :)

the other day i pulled out onto the street from our apartment complex on my first solo ride, and i saw the back of a naked person. completely and utterly naked from head to toe. he was just walking down the street, eating some food, and being naked. it was shocking, and strange. i had been forewarned though that there was a naked man roaming about whom they named "the dongguan monster", but i had pictured him more muddy and barbaric. this guy was just naked.


9 comments:

  1. I love seeing China through your eyes! I am definitely thinking about you and all of your experiences. The language barrier was the most challenging part of China, but just keep pressing on. I know you are an amazing teacher, even to primary school students. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you. I just keep imagining us sitting in starbucks and you telling me these stories :) I think of you every day girl. I love you.

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all that IS blasphemy how dare you speak of a mac that way ; ) Anyway I just had a second and wanted to let you know I'm praying for you. I totally understand those discouraging days, granted I've never officially taught overseas but I know those days. They definitely come and go but at least you have naked men to help take your mind off of discouraging things : ) Anyway I'm really proud of you and have really enjoyed reading your updates. Praying for ya...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl. I love you. I miss you. I love you. I miss you. I love you. I miss you. This story just made me laugh so hard because I can totally see your face and hear what you were thinking when you saw naked guy. It's so funny that this happened to you. I can't wait until one day when I see you again and you can tell me these stories in person and we can laugh about them in true shayna and crystal fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are actually doing it. You are out in the trenches actually doing what so many people talk about. The thing is though, as much as people may talk about going off and having a big adventure, traveling the world, nobody ever thinks to mention that it can be hard, and isolated. So for the rest of your life now, you get to say, "When I was in China..." and THAT IS SO COOL. And yes, it will be hard for now. But these kids will remember you! And you do have Maggie, and you do have our prayers. And a random naked man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. at least you only saw him from the back... and didn't see HIS dongguan monster.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shayna! Hi! It's your long lost friend, Erin! I love reading your blog! It's insightful and funny! fantastic! I can't believe you're in China, but I'm so glad that I can read about your adventures. I will definitely be praying for you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shayna,

    Your mom left your blog address and has asked our church to be praying for you. I am so glad that I logged on and read all of your posts. You had me laughing right along with you. I don't know all the processes that led up to this decision to go overseas and teach, but I'm excited to hear your stories and how the Lord is near to you. I pray that above all the talents that you possess and could possibly impart to them, that the Lord would use you to minister the "love" of Jesus to these children. I am so blessed to see that your countenance even has an effect!

    Keep smiling for Jesus, Shayna...
    Thank you for sharing your journey.

    In Faith & Love from SC,
    Dawn Porter

    ReplyDelete
  9. Naked people..in the street..at random.
    interesting. . very interesting.

    Hang in there. I know you are doing a fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete